We are committed to helping international students to build their future in our country.

We will help you through each step of your journey, from your arrival to italy to your first job.

We are convinced that encouraging awareness concerning the italian culture, legal system and job market is the best way to help students achieving their educational and career goals.

Hey there. We are eager to have a chat with you!

You can clear ideas by discussing with us about your current situation and plans. It will give the possibility to both of us to verify if and how ITALY FOR STUDENTS can support you.

Book a FREE call by simply filling in the form. You will be contacted by our Team!

But remember:

We can help you understand how to work and get a work permit in Italy, as we are Immigration experts.
We are not able to help you finding a job opportunity or an internship.
We can assist the company who is willing to hire you with all the needed procedures/for consultancy.


    Which service are you interested in?

    Our services

    Choose the path that best suits your current situation and order the services you need directly online

    Incoming students

    A new chapter of your life is about to start. Let’s face it together!
    • Visa
    • Health coverage
    • Residence permit
    • Family cohesion or reunification
    • Fiscal code


    You are now surely more familiar with Immigration procedures. However, you still might need some help to meet new needs.
    • Residence permit renewal
    • Residency application
    • Family cohesion or reunification
    • Non-standard situation


    You are about to finish your studies and you are wondering how to take your first steps in the Italian job market
    • Residence permit convertion
    • Job hunting residence permit
    • Mentorship program
    • Family cohesion or reunification
    • Non-standard situation


    You are now working and enjoying your life in Italy. We bet you want to take a step forward.
    • Residence permit renewal for work reasons
    • EU long term residence permit
    • Mentorship program
    • Family cohesion or reunification

    Program goals

    This program has been launched by SAN MARTINO, a social enterprise working in the immigration field since 1989.

    • Improved awareness of duties and rights of non-european students at all stages of their life in italy
    • Reduced margin of errors for immigration procedures
    • Improved career guidance
    • More than 100 students assisted every year for Immigration procedures and career guidance
    • Dozens of family reunited with our support

    Frequently asked questions

    If you have any questions, doubts or requests regarding your stay in Italy as a student, read the FAQ.

    If you don’t find what you are looking for, contact us by e-mail, we will reply to you as soon as possible

    How long will it take to collect my first residence permit (permesso di soggiorno) for study reasons?

    There is no precise answer to this question. Generally speaking, it takes around 2/3 months to complete the process. This is because there are 3 steps:

    1. application submission at the Postal office;
    2. Fingerprint appointment at Police station;
    3. Electronic residence permit collection at Police station.

    Can I travel around Europe with the only residence permit application receipt?

    YES – for your first year. Why?
    Because you will hold a VALID STUDY VISA which gives you the possiblity to travel around the Schengen area.

    IT DEPENDS – for the following years. Why?
    Because your STUDY VISA will be expired and the only receipt will not allow you to travel around the Schengen area. With the receipt you will only be able to go back to your home country.

    Can I work in Italy with my study permit?

    Yes, study permit holders are allowed to work to maintain themselves. However, as the main reason for which you are in Italy is studying, you are authorized to work only for a maximum of 1040 hours per solar year.

    Can I apply for a work permit if I attended a private course or a non-recognized University course?

    Yes, you can. However, you cannot apply for work permit any time of the year. You need to wait for the publication of a Ministerial Decree known as “decreto flussi“.

    This Decree establishes the number of conversion applications accepted per year, among other things.

    What's the difference between the residence permit (permesso di soggiorno) and residency (residenza)?

    It is extremely important to clarify this point, as many students get confused.

    Your residence permit is the document that authorizes you to legally stay in our country for your studies. It is not possible, as non-european, to live in Italy without it.

    Residency, on the contrary, is not a mandatory procedure for non-eu students. It is indeed the act of registering into the population registry of the area in which your accommodation will be located in. Even if it is not a must, it will be required to convert your study permit.

    We suggest you to move in advance!

    Do I need to do anything to keep my registration in the population register (residenza)?

    Yes, you do. This is because you will be registered at your Municipality (Comune) based on your residence permit for study reasons, valid for 1 year.

    Each year you will need to renew it and then contact the Municipality (Comune) to inform them and deliver a copy of your residence permit. In this way, they will keep you in the register.

    What if I do not have a job offer after graduation? Can I stay in Italy?

    Yes, you can. You will have 1 year time to find a job. In order to do that, you will apply for a residence permit for “ricerca lavoro” (job hunting).

    Be careful: this permit cannot be renewed! Do not waste precious time!

    Who are the relatives who can come to Italy and obtain a family residence permit linked to mine?

    If you are planning to move your entire family to our country we need to warn you. Indeed, only first-degree relatives can obtain a residence permit for family reasons.

    This means that only your parents, if there are at least 65 years old, your wife or husband and your sons can come to Italy and stay here with you more than 90 days.


    Read the testimonials of students who have already contacted us

    I am a post-doctoral researcher in Milan. After coming to Milan with my wife, we were in a critical situation as my wife came here with a French residence permit. So legally she could stay here for 90 days. So, for her, we need to apply for family cohesion. For this, we asked San Martino Servizi to help us. We are extremely happy to say that San Martino Servizi has helped us in every way to get my wife’s fingerprint done for the residence permit. Also, they have helped us by giving the information from where we did the translation of our marriage certificate into Italian. All the staffs were extremely helpful, and we are very happy with their service. Thanks a lot, San Martino Servizi for helping us. We highly recommend their service.

    Somnath Banerjee

    San Martino servizi makes your life simple, especially for international students looking for assistance in Italy. Miss.Giulia was very professional and helped me with my overall process of conversion of pemesso.
    Thanks to the service, I highly recommend them, if your struggling with your bureaucracy process

    Shreejan Sm

    Find out how we can assist you and make your experience in Italy even better.